|
- Thanksgiving Leftovers and Personal liberation -
|
Monday, December 08, 2008
|
I do not post very often because I try very hard to sound smart and its kind of tiring. In fact, i have already re-written that sentence 4 times. But I have decided that I am going to stick to reading great writers (and great bloggers) without feeling any pressure to be as eloquent.
In honor of the permission I have granted myself to blog without trying to sound like the love child of Flannery O'Conner and Donald MIller, I am posting some recipes. We had a lot of leftover turkey this year after Thanksgiving. Our small group hosted a meal and had a whole turkey left over. AN ENTIRE TURKEY. So Steven Eisenberg carved that sucker up, divided it 6 ways and we were eating turkey for a week. The Cross house sticks to a fairly tight budget, or at least we attempt to, so I wasn't going to spend money on groceries when our fridge was already full. Below are three recipes that produced some yummy meals and didn't make us feel we were eating the same thing every night. I suggest saving them on your computer since we all know you wont be making a turkey again until next Thanksgiving.
Recipe #1 Leftover Turkey Croquettes 1 clove garlic, cracked from skin 1/2 small onion 1 c cooked chopped turkey meat (white and dark) 1 c leftover mashed potatoes 1 egg S+P 2 t poultry seasoning (I didn't have this so i used marjoram, sage and thyme) parsley 1 C Italian breadcrumbs (again, I opened the can and only had 1/4c so I ended up crushing up some crackers and some of those fried onions i used to make green bean casserole) 1/2 Romano grated cheese (I used grated parmesan from the fridge) 3 T EVOO
Put garlic and onion in food processor to chop. Add turkey, potatoes, egg, S+P, seasoning and parsley. Pulse to combine. Remove and combine with 3/4 c bread crumbs and cheese.
Heat EVOO over med heat. Shape turkey mix in 8 balls (I made a few extra small ones to trick hazel into thinking they were chicken nuggets. worked like a charm.), coat in bread crumbs. Fry 5-6 min in oil until golden and crispy in middle.
Recipe #2 Leftover Stir Fry 2 T Veg oil 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 t hot red pepper flakes (opt.) or 1 T sesame seeds 1/2 t fresh ginger, minced ( I just used some ground ginger) 1-2 c finely chopped cooked meat (obviously I used turkey here, but you can use beef, pork, chicken, ham- whatever) 4-6 c mixed raw vegetables, finely chopped, grated, julienne, or shredded 1/2 c sliced onions (i only had red- it was fine) 2 c cooked rice (brown rice here for us) 1/4- 1/2 soy sauce ( I suggest lower sodium) 2 T cooking sherry (opt- I left it out) 1 t sugar
Combine soy sauce, sherry and sugar. Set aside. Heat 2 T oil in wok or large frying pan at 375. Add pepper flakes or sesame seeds, still until darkened. Add meat, stir 1 min; add garlic, ginger, onion; stir fry 1 min. Add vegetables, stir fry 3 min. Add rice and stir until well combined. Add sauce. Stir until heated through. Measurements are all approximates, so taylor to your own taste
Recipe #3 Turkey Quesadillas - an adaptation from Crescent Chicken Squares- which Shaun calls my Kick Butt Chicken Hot Pockets 3 oz softened cream cheese 2 T melted butter 2 C cooked shredded turkey (which is usually cubed cooked chicken) 1/4 t salt 1/8 t pepper 2 T milk, 1 T chopped onion or chives 1 T chopped pimento (opt.) flour tortillas (or can of crescent dinner rolls and some breadcrumbs for sprinking)
Combine cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add remaining ingredients except tortillas (obviously). I then heated the mixture up in the microwave for a minute because I wasn't sure it would get warm when the tortillas cooked) spread mixture out over a tortilla, fold in half. Heat a pan and some cooking spray and cook until crispy.
If you wanted to make the original recipe: Preheat oven to 350. After combining everything, you lay out the crescent rolls, separate rolls into 4 rectangles, and seal the perforations. Spoon 1/2 c of chicken mixture on center of each rectangle, Pull 4 corners into center of mix. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with crumb. Bake on ugreased sheet 20-25 min.
| |
|
|
1 Comments:
Hey I found you! I think I ate one of those delectable Thanksgiving leftover delights! And it was indeed lovely.
Post a Comment
<< Home